How to Choose the Best Toothpaste For Your Family
Take a walk down the toothpaste aisle at your local grocery store or drug store. If you’re like me, you’ve immediately become puzzled and taken aback by the quantity and diversity of toothpastes today. I feel like I should do hours of research just so I can choose the ideal toothpaste for myself and my family. No need. I’m here today to help you select a toothpaste that will appropriately fit you and your family’s needs.
What To Look For:
1. The Seal. First, and most importantly, make sure you pick a toothpaste with the ADA seal of acceptance. These toothpastes have been recognized by the American Dental Association as the gold standard when it comes to evaluating safety and efficacy.
2. Fluoride, Fluoride, Fluoride. Fluoride helps strengthen and maintain tooth enamel and also aids in the fight against decay. Find a toothpaste than contains this decay fighter!
3. Fun (for Children). Make Brushing Fun! Grab a tube of toothpaste with your child’s favorite TV/movie character or favorite flavor. Portraying teeth brushing in a fun context will keep your child excited for brushing time!
4. Sensitivity. You or your child may suffer from sensitive teeth, which can be uncomfortable and in more serious cases, very painful. We suggest you opt for a sensitivity toothpaste, such as Sensodyne or Colgate Sensitive toothpaste.
5. Stain Eliminators. For adults only, you may be unhappy with the color or shade of your teeth. There are many kinds of toothpastes that are designed to reduce discoloration or stains, but remember, look for the ADA seal first!
6. Gel or Paste? Generally, both have the same exact ingredients and will produce the same results. We’ll leave this one up to you and your family’s personal preference!
During your next appointment, feel free to talk to Dr. Nishimura or your hygienist about the specific kinds of toothpastes that we prefer and recommend. To schedule your next cleaning give us a call at (303) 399-0400 or schedule online at http://www.cherry-creekdentist.com/